Travel Packages & Rail Tours to Portland, Vancouver B.C. & the Coast
Travelers enjoy scenic, relaxing train vacations to coastal cities and towns in Oregon and Washington, exploring the natural beauty, unique attractions, and vibrant life.
Train tours afford a leisurely, comfortable mode of travel, allowing time to take in the scenery and relax. Travel by train along the Pacific Northwest coast from Eugene, Oregon, to Vancouver, B.C., take a day trip along the Oregon coast on a steam engine or experience a train vacation package to Portland, Oregon.
Amtrak Cascades Train Route
This north-south train route between Eugene and Springfield, Oregon, and Vancouver, B.C., travels through major cities and scenic areas of the Pacific Northwest:
- The 10-1/2-hour Amtrak trip has multiple departures daily.
- Salem, Oregon City, and Portland are a few of Oregon stops on the Amtrak Cascades train.
- Vancouver, Tacoma, Seattle, Everett, and Bellingham are some of the Washington State stops on this route.
- Natural attractions on this train trip are views of Mount St. Helens and crossing the Columbia River Gorge.
- Sleek, European-style trains feature wide, reclining seats, and laptop outlets.
- The Bistro Car offers fresh, regional cuisine, wine, microbrews, and coffees.
- Business-class cars have priority boarding and deboarding, wider seats with more legroom and fewer passengers per car.
- Peak travel time on the Cascades route is June, July, and August.
- Stay in a green hotel in Seattle or Portland to enhance and lengthen a vacation on Amtrak’s Cascades Train.
- When departing the train in Eugene, drive south to Roseburg and onto Crater Lake National Park.
Oregon Coast Train Trip
The Oregon Coast Crawler utilizes a vintage steam engine for a leisurely trip along the Oregon coast:
- The 5-hour journey in July showcases the scenery of the picturesque Oregon coast.
- The train trip begins in Garibaldi in the south, traveling through Ocean Lake Park, Twin Rocks, Saltair, Tillamook Beach, Lake Lytle, Manhattan Beach, and Brighton Beach.
- Travelers enjoy panoramic views of Tillamook and Nehalem Bays on the Tillamook Branch Line.
- Stop at a park in Wheeler for a waterside picnic lunch made with local ingredients.
- Enjoy a beach stop at Rockaway Beach on the return trip.
- Many photo run-bys, especially from the open car, are offered.
- This train trip is limited to less than 100 passengers.
- Longer coastal train trips are available from California to Seattle.
Train Trips to Portland, Oregon
Amtrak offers vacation package rail tours to Portland, proclaimed as North America’s “Best Big City:”
- Trains depart from Seattle, Washington; Sacramento and Los Angeles, California; and Chicago, Illinois.
- The round-trip vacation lasts 3 days and 2 nights.
- Accommodations at the Hilton Portland and Executive Tower or Benson Hotel, both in the heart of downtown Portland and close to the Amtrak station, are included.
- Admission to the Oregon Historical Society & Museum in Portland’s Cultural District, featuring 8-story-high tromp l’oeil murals, is also included in this package.
- Portland is known for its extensive urban parks, exciting museums, and historic sites.
- A walker’s paradise, Portland also has a convenient and eco-friendly light-rail system.
- Visit nearby glacier-covered Mount Hood or the scenic Oregon coastline.
Explore Oregon’s cities and coastline by rail. Tours along the Oregon and Washington coasts in comfortable trains, a leisurely, steam-engine-powered trip along with the Oregon coastline, and rail vacations to Portland are some of the possibilities for rail vacations in the Pacific Northwest. Or venture from Seattle to Montana with a train trip to Glacier National Park.