Family-operated wineries near Newberg, Oregon, feature world-class, handcrafted wine. Stay in area hotels or B&Bs; dine out and travel by car to the wineries year-round.
Oregon is world-renowned for its wines, especially pinot noir. In the northwest corner of the state just 25 miles southwest of Portland, the Willamette Valley is home to 250 wineries. At the northern end of the valley, the town of Newberg is surrounded by a greenbelt of forests and farmland, retaining its provincial character.
Newberg is a perfect base for touring northwest Oregon’s wine country. Lodging includes an upscale resort, comfortable B&Bs, and regional hotels. Dining varies from elegant to eclectic. Take in unique attractions while wine touring in the Willamette Valley.
Wine Country Tours in North Willamette Valley
The broad Willamette Valley is punctuated by hills covered in vineyards. Many wineries are within 15 minutes drive of Newberg, featuring tasting rooms where visitors can walk in and try a variety of wine styles. Following are some of the best wineries in the north Willamette Valley:
- Rex Hill Vineyards, just east of Newberg, is family owned and operated. Crafting premium pinots since 1982, this winery also boasts a beautiful garden setting.
- Domaine Drouhin, owned by renowned Burgundy producer Maison Joseph Drouhin, produces Burgundian-style wines. Fourth-generation winemaker Veronique Drouhin-Boss crafts world-class pinot noir and chardonnay.
- Penner-Ash Wine Cellars is set high on a hill with a stupendous view. Its pinot noirs and syrahs are some of the best in Oregon.
- Argyle Winery has been recognized as Oregon’s premier winery. Pinot noir, chardonnay, Riesling, Merlot and world-class methode-champenoise sparkling wines are crafted in this boutique winery.
- Elk Cove Vineyards is one of the oldest wineries in Oregon, offering commanding views from its tasting room. Pinot noir, pinot gris and an “ultima” dessert wine are produced at this family winery.
- Carlton Winemakers Studio houses multiple small wineries working in a collaborative environment. Its wine bar is open daily, pouring pinot noir and other varietals.
Willamette Valley Attractions
Newberg Area attractions include a historical aviation museum, hot-air balloon rides, and a scenic state park next to a river:
- The Evergreen Aviation Museum features exhibits (some interactive) of famous aircraft–from a replica of the Wright Brothers’ 1903 Flyer to the gigantic seaplane, the “Spruce Goose.” An IMAX 3-D theater, gift shop, café, and wine tasting are also part of the museum in McMinnville, just 16 miles southwest of Newberg.
- Champoeg State Heritage Area, 7 miles east of Newberg on the Willamette River, features 7 miles of paved bike trails and roadways through meadows, wetlands, and woods. Exhibits at the visitors’ center, a historic cabin, and a home built in 1852 showcase area history.
- Vista Balloon Adventures near Newberg offers hot-air balloon rides, some with a catered brunch. The rides afford peaceful, birds’-eye views of the Willamette Valley.
Newberg, Oregon, Lodging
Accommodations in the Newberg area range from luxurious to homey:
- Allison Inn & Spa offers 85 luxurious guestrooms and suites, each with a terrace or balcony, fireplace, and original artwork. The inn includes hillsides with 30 acres of gardens, footpaths, and vineyards, as well as a signature restaurant and bar.
- Best Western Newberg Inn has well-appointed guest rooms and suites. The hotel features an indoor pool, hot tub, and a steam room.
- Lions Gate Inn is a classic elegant, craftsman-style B&B. Its four-bedroom suites with private baths are decorated in seasonal motifs.
- University House offers guests the entire house while staying in one of its three Victorian bedrooms. Antique décor and wireless internet coexist in this historic B&B.
- Springbrook Hazelnut Farm B&B offers accommodations on a historic estate with extensive gardens, 60 acres of hazelnut orchards, a swimming pool, and a tennis court.
North Willamette Valley Dining
Restaurants in the Newberg area showcase the local bounty:
- Newberg’s Painted Lady offers local, organic products and nightly multi-course prix fixe dinners. Its Northwest cuisine is complemented by an Award of Excellence wine list.
- Yamhill Grill in Newberg features comfort food and Northwest specials in a casually elegant setting.
- Dundee Bistro, south of Newberg, offers local organic produce and meat in creative, gourmet dishes. The bistro’s wine program is directed by the winemaker at nearby Ponzi Vineyards.
- Red Hills Provincial Dining, in a historic home in Dundee, offers a Pacific Northwest menu and an extensive wine cellar.
Visit Newberg, Oregon, for its unique attractions, lodging, and restaurants. Wine touring in the north Willamette Valley offers tastes of some of the world’s best pinots. For more Northwest wine tours, visit wineries in Spokane, Washington, and Boise, Idaho.